Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Oh the mighty temptations . . .

Bacon. I love it. I can't help it, it's probably one of my favorite foods. And I'm sorry, that crap that Butterball tries to pass off as "Bacon" just doesn't cut it.

Chocoalte. Another one I can't live without. Yummm . . .

It has been three weeks without bacon. At the end of week four I'm treating myself to a giant bacon sandwich. Yum.

So what does this have to do with dieting? Aha, dear reader, I shall tell you!

COMPLETE DENIAL LEADS TO FAILURE

This is something the diet companies don't want you to know. They want you to THINK you have to deny yourself in order to lose weight. That way, when you fail, you come right back to them to lose weight again. And again. And again.

The way I see it is this - you HAVE to allow yourself a treat every now and again. Okay, so maybe chocolate every day isn't the solution, LOL. But a bacon sandwich once a month IS. Knowing that I will be able to have that sandwich in one, two, three, or four weeks is enough to keep me going. If I save up all those months worth of "bacon points" every month, it is going to be SO worth it!!

That works on a daily basis too. I eat my egg white and turkey sausage sandwich or bowl of oatmaeal in the morning knwoing that I will be able to have those cinnemon rolls or that ham and cheese omelette on Sunday.

Now, I'm not perfect. Not by a long shot. I still screw up. Somtimes daily. But I'm learning. I'm learning that it's not about counting calories or points. It's not about consistantly denying myself over and over again. It's about eating 80% good, wholesome, healthy food on a daily basis, getting in at least 15 minutes of activity a day, and drinking at least three bottles of water a day. I don't have any idea if I've lost weight over the last couple of weeks - I haven't been on a scale. But I do know I feel better. I'm more active. I'm more awake. My back pain has diminished greatly. This, right now, is enough for me. In a couple of weeks when I'm used to all this, I'll add something more. Maybe another 15 minutes of activity or 3 bottles of water. Maybe more fruits and veggies and less meat. We'll see.

For now, I'll just fight the daily temptations that rear their ugly heads.
Darn you, chocolate!

No comments: