Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Made to Crave: Having a Journey Partner . . .

*Please note that I am in no way affiliated with Lysa TurKeurst or Proverbs 31 Ministries. This is my own work using Lysa's book Made to Crave as reference. Thank you - Jennifer.* 


Do YOU F*R*O*G?
fully rely on God


I have tried to make it a point to stay away from certain words . . .
Ahem . . . Diet
I call it a journey instead.
I like to think of this process as kind of a road trip, if you will.
I am on the road to better health and an improved closeness with God.
And, lets face it, road trips are so much better with two.


My "Journey Partner" for the past year has been my best friend - 
We have shared our strengths, weaknesses, struggles and successes.
Laura has been such a value to me through this whole thing, because she can completely empathize with what I'm going through and she has a great ability to be able to push me through when no one else can.
Could I do this without her?
Probably, but I wouldn't want to. 

Alone, I get discouraged and break out the funyun's.
Together, we get discouraged and pray for each other then have a grilled chicken salad.
Alone, I step on the scale and get upset when I gain or don't lose anything.
Together, we remind each other that the purpose of this journey is not about weight, but about God.
Alone, I spend too much on snacks and treats "for the kids".
Together, we help each other avoid that aisle and focus on healthy snacks the entire family can enjoy.

I have another journey partner - my husband. 
He is also there to encourage and guide me when I need it.

And a group of wonderful women at my church: our Made to Crave Girls Bible Study Group.
They are amazing women that I don't know what I would do without.

But beyond Laura, and my husband, and my bible study group . . .
Beyond all that there is one Journey Partner that I have to have, 
One that I have to 100%, fully rely on.
God.
Because, really, this journey is not about me, or weight loss, or my friends or family. This journey is about Him and my relationship with Him. This journey is about me re-focusing all my desire and cravings onto God, not food.

Because we are Made to Crave God, not food.

This week I will be starting a food journal. I won't necessarily be writing down calories or anything like that, but I think that it will be a great tool for me to see what I'm eating and not eating. I would love to hear your personal experiences with food journals! Feel free to comment below and tell me what you think about them!

God bless you all!


No comments: