Friday, January 21, 2011

A Bit of an Update and A Few of My Favorite Things . . .

I just realized it's been a while since I've posted, so I decided to give a bit of an update.

First, I've started finally shedding the holiday 5 I gained. Not back below 280 yet - but inching my way closer. I know I'll get there soon!

Now, exercise . . . Notsomuch. I've been having a lot of joint pain lately - mostly in my hips and back. I'm actually starting to get really concerned about it because the pain in my hips has been going on for almost a year now. I try to get up and move around as much as I can, and sometimes it helps, but exercise is out of the question for now because I learned the other day (danced my heart out with my son while cleaning the dining room) that extreme movement aggravates the pain. So . . . there ya' have it. I'm not really worried as far as how it will affect my weight loss, I just have to make sure I'm eating accordingly. I'm just more concerned that there might be another problem . . .

Eating - I've done better, but not as well as I could. Not as many fruits and veggies as I would like. Ran out of budget and forgot to buy salad and canned veggies for the week, so the extent of my produce consumption focused on the bell peppers, onions, and garlic added to some of my dishes this week. Oh, and the fried okra one night. Not bad . . . but not good either. The strange thing is, my daughter (7) has actually been ASKING for salad this week!! Guess I need to get on the ball with that. But I have been trying to focus on eating ONLY when I'm hungry and stopping when I'm not hungry anymore. Of course, I did go back for seconds a couple of nights . . .

Now, on to my Favorite Things.
I've come to realize that I have a few "favorites" that I seem to stick with - that are all healthier choices. Here's a few of them:

International Delights Coffee House Inspirations Skinny Line - especially the vanilla latte and the caramel macchiato. These are flavored creamers that are light and VERY yummy! It's like Starbucks without the thunder thighs and the guilty nightmares . . .

Skinny Cow Singles - this ice cream rivals any of the full-fat versions, and it's 150 calories a serving and all has at least 2 grams of fiber. Can't beat that!!

Spinach salad with strawberries and balsamic vinegrette - Mmmm . . . I can't wait 'til spring so I can enjoy this one again. Add some grilled chicken and you have a full - yummy - meal!

Re-vamped recipes - I love taking really, REALLY fattening foods like chicken Parmesan, chili, enchiladas, etc, and re-writing them to lower the fat and calories. I'm getting really, REALLY good at it too!

10-minute brown rice and whole grain pasta - feeding a family of five is not easy on a budget, and we HAVE to have some kind of "filler" to lower the cost. Quick cooking brown rice and whole grain pastas really fit the bill. I use less, though, than I would normally in things like casseroles and soups.

Speaking of soup . . . Did you know you can eat an ENTIRE CAN of chicken noodle soup for UNDER 300 calories?? Mmmmmm . . .

Hormel Completes Microwave Meals - MOST of these are under 400 calories, and there are a few "lighter" ones that are under 300! And most of them are really, REALLY good.

So, there you have it, kids. Long post today, but well worth it!

HERE'S TO BEING LOSERS IN 2011!!

5 comments:

Courtney said...

I'm all about being a loser in 2011! I loved your post, Jen. :) In our house, we started substituting whole grain pastas (not more than once a week on the pasta, though) and also we switched from Kraft Mac n' Cheese (yeah, the good kind in the blue box) to couscous. My kids LOVE couscous! I add fat-free shredded cheese and a little parmesan and a dab of butter and voila! It's DELISH! Hope you have a great weekend! We're going to Boyd. Love to meet up with you soon!

Laura The Great said...

Hey Jen! Good post. I too enjoy skinny cow ice creams and revamping recipes...I made turkey lasagna the other night that was delicious.

Joanna said...

It has also been my mission to focus on making my favorite recipes, using ingrediants that lower the fat and calories...and I'm LOVING it!!

Love your favorite things list - I may have to try a few!!

Keep up the good work, and I'm sorry to hear about your pain...may be that a trip to the doctor is in order??

Michelle said...

You need to get that hip looked at. My choice would be to see a chiropractor if you know of a good one. I like skinny cow too.

Karen said...

Oh I soooo cannot buy skinny cows. No willpower and moderation for me with those yummy things.