Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Tasty Tuesday - Taco Taters

When I was at my Weight Watcher's meeting this weekend, our Fearless Leader, Christie, inspired me.
She told me that you can bake potatoes in the CROCK POT.
I just about died.
You see, I am the
CROCK POT QUEEN
You tell me I can cook something in the crock pot and I am all over it like white on rice.
THEN she proceeded to tell me what she does with said potatoes.
She makes a big batch of taco meat and then stuffs the potatoes with it.
Oh.
My.
HOLYCOW.
My two favorite things in the world combined to create a luscious little pocket of spicy, starchy, taco-tater LUV.

I will be making these tomorrow to celebrate my very last day - EVER - of college classes.

Here's the recipe!

Taco Taters I
Serves: 4
Points Plus Value: 10

4 medium baking potatoes, washed
1 T olive oil
1 lb lean ground turkey
1 packet commercial taco seasoning OR you can make your own
1/4 c water or chicken broth
1 can ranch-style beans (or any bean, really) OR 1 can corn, drained

Toppings:
cheddar cheese, sour cream, lettuce, tomato, onions, scallions, cilantro, avocado, salsa, etc.

Wrap potatoes in foil and place in crock pot, making sure they don't touch the sides of the crock (bottom touching is acceptable here). Cook on low 6-8 hours. Remove from crock pot, remove foil, and set aside.

In a 12 in skillet brown meat in 1 T olive oil. Add taco seasoning and water or broth. Allow to reduce for about 5 minutes. Add beans and cook for another five minutes or until beans are heated through. Remove from heat.

Split potato and scoop out part of the middle (optional, but it gives you more room for filling!). Fill potato with 1/4 meat mixture and top with desired toppings. Repeat with remaining potatoes.

Enjoy!

Another recipe was born from this inspiring nummy creation.

Taco-Taters II
Serves 4
Points Plus Value: 4

2 medium baking potatoes, washed and cut into wedges to make about 16 wedges.
1 packet commercial or home made taco seasoning
2 T olive oil

In a large bowl, toss potatoes, olive oil, and taco seasoning. Turn out onto a baking sheet lined with foil and sprayed with cooking spray. Bake at 425 for ten minutes, then turn the potatoes and bake for a remaining 10 minutes, or until browned all over. Serve with light sour cream, if desired.

No comments: