This is part 2 of my "Healthy Kitchen" trilogy. This is just a basics list - you can certainly add or subtract as you see fit. These are items that I try to keep on hand at all times. Some of them, like the fresh veggies, fruits, and dairy products will probably have to be replenished once a week or more. Others you can keep on hand until they run out!
Supermom's Healthy Fridge List
- low-fat milk (whole milk for kiddos under three, if you please)
- reduced fat cheese (I find that 2% cheese is much more palatable than fat-free, and there's
really not that much of a difference)
- roasted chicken or turkey cold cuts (low-sodium 100% natural READ YOUR LABELS!!)
- stone fruits (such as peaches and plums)
- low-fat mayo or salad dressing (i.e., Miracle Whip)
- dill pickles (slices or spears)
- pickle relish
- low-fat salad dressings (we like ranch, french, balsamic vinaigrette, and Russian)
- roasted red bell peppers
- pickled vegetables
Of course, there are almost always a few leftovers, and specialty items not on the main list for specific meals (if you eat things like asparagus or Brussels sprouts daily, go ahead and add them to your list, though (-: ).