Monday, September 8, 2008

Eat Something, Darn you!!

As a returning college student, I see tons of young women whose ideals about body image have been morphed and distorted by societie's unrealistic view of the "perfect woman". These girls wander around campus in their size 2 jeans complaining that they're getting "fat" (when you can still see their ribs). I wouldn't be so worried about it, except for one tiny detail. It's not just a handful of girls. Of the entire population of TWU, I would venture forth to say that a whopping 70% of girls here suffer from some sort of body image issue. Now, considering that around 60% are athletes (la crosse, softball, soccer, gymnastics, etc), that really says a lot about how we view perfection.

So, what is "perfection"? Personally, I don't believe it exists. There is no universal "perfect" form for the human body.

My DH, for example, has what you might call a "beer gut". He is very self concious about this. Me? I look at him every day and can't get over how unbelievably georgous he is to me. Not only do I not see his "gut" but I think I would miss it just a little if it wasn't there. Don't get me wrong - we are in this lifestyle change together for better or for worse. But regardless, I love him more now than the day we married. Beer gut or not.

And, of course, you all see my "unperfect" body shining in all it's glory right there on the front page of this blog. It is MORTIFYING to have that stare back at me. But I know that, eventually, that body is going to start shrinking. Little by little, it is going to melt away to my personal perfection. And what is that, you might ask? My perfection is a size 14. I believe that I will be around 180 or 190 when I reach this size. I do not ever want to be "thin". I love my body. I have curves, baby. I have hips, I have a butt, I have boobs. I don't ever want to lose those things.

The only reason I want to lose weight is 97.6%. The other 2.4% is, admittedly, based on the fact that I don't look good at 300 pounds and a size 26. But at 190 and a size 14? Oooh . . . I'll be SMOKIN'!

No comments: