Thursday, January 3, 2013

New Year Update!

Okay, so I haven't been diligent about blogging over the past few weeks. Blame the holidays. Psh. 
I can also blame the holidays for my current weight status. 
Ugh.
As of yesterday I was at 213. 
Still. 
Okay, so I haven't GAINED any weight either, which I suppose is a good thing, but I am so ready to be out of the 200's it's not even funny.

But I have a plan.
A GOOD plan.

First off, I have to do a cleanse. 
This will get all of the toxins that I've put into my body this holiday season OUT.
There are many ways to cleanse your body, but I choose to go the natural route by doing a basic low-carb vegetarian diet for a week. (I will be having dairy in the form of yogurt). This diet will include a variance of fruits and vegetables as well as beans and legumes. No meat, rice, pasta, etc.


I know what you're thinking:
"But I thought weight loss patients had to watch their protein?"


Well, yes, we do. But I will be getting my protein from plant sources such as nuts and beans (did you know a serving of peanuts has 7 grams of protein?)


A typical day of eating might look similar to this:
Breakfast: Yogurt; Snack: handful (1/2 c or so) nuts; Lunch: Butternut squash soup; Snack: fruit; Dinner: Beans

That may or may not be EXACTLY what I eat, but it will be along the same lines.

After this initial first week, I will be re-introducing more protein into my diet in the form of seafood, white meat poultry, and lean meats such as lamb and pork (yes, pork is a lean meat!).

But I will still be staying away from carbs.

You see, over the holidays I've learned something about myself.

Hello. My name is Jennifer. And I am a carb-o-holic.

It actually surprised me to find this out - I'd always thought I was someone that could take them or leave them.
I can live without bread.
I can live without pasta.
Apparently, however, I cant' live without salty crunchy things like popcorn, crackers, pretzels. . . and chips.
I have a SEVERE addiction to chips.

Something else I've learned over the holiday season is this:
SUGAR is not what causes dumping syndrome.
But that's for tomorrow's blog.

So here's how I did in 2012:
Starting weight: 295
Weight at Surgery (July 11, 2012): 285
Current weight: 213
Total weight lost so far:
82 lbs!!
Now, if we're going by my actual highest weight of 310 I've lost 102 lbs total in three years.
Not to shabby, I'd say!

What's my goal for this year?
First off, I want to be under 200 (in ONEderland) by my birthday: February 10.
I would LIKE to see me at goal by September 1, but we'll see what happens (weight loss slows down a LOT the closer you get to goal).
I will also be staying on a cleaner diet - lean meats, veggies, fruits, and very little carbs.
This is not just for my weight, but also my health.
One more thing, because of my knee problems, I will be joining a fitness club (it's owned by a very good friend of ours) and working out with weights and bikes at least 3 times a week (maybe more!).
My final goal for 2013 is to keep posting and updating! 
This is for me as much as it is for you all - I really enjoy reading and seeing how far I've come!

So, HAPPY NEW YEAR, Kids!
This is going to be a great year!
 

4 comments:

The Dose of Reality said...

I just want to say GOOD FOR YOU! :) For being so open and honest and for tackling your goals head on. I can definitely relate to the carb part of this post so much.
Stopping by from SITS. :)

Sara said...

What a great year you have had (very inspiring) I'm sure you'll be in Onederland by your birthday. All the best in 2013!

Lisa said...

You're doing great! I know you'll keep up the good work & succeed!

Anonymous said...

What an accomplishment over the year! And you seem like you have a great plan in place as you head into 2013. I wish you continued success on your journey. Happy New Year!