Monday, October 22, 2012

Menu Monday . . . Er . . . Maybe . . .

Let's just say that sticking with menus is NOT my forte.
Not at all.
Last week I had plans to do the 5 Day Pouch Test.
That didn't happen.
For one thing, I didn't have the grocery money to spend on my and my family 3-5 different meals a night.
(that one's a long story ...)
For another thing, for some reason I can't tolerate ANY protein shake - none of them.
(that's insanely frustrating)
In fact, last week didn't go as well food wise as I'd hoped.
*sigh*
But I did discover something.
Despite what I had told myself for years, I don't do well with carbs.
So I am going to be returning to a low-carb diet and STAYING with it. At least for the next 70 lbs or so.

Now as far as the menu thing goes:
While I love the idea of being accountable, I am not one to hold myself accountable very well. So I think that Menu Monday will be reduced down to Monday-Friday and dinner only - after all, dinner is usually the main meal for most families!

So here's this weeks Dinner Menu:

Monday: Cheesy Chicken Skillet, salad (recipe below!)
Tuesday: Crock Pot Pintos with Sausage
Wednesday: Chili
Thursday: Leftovers
Friday: Grilled Chicken and Veggies

Cheesy Chicken Skillet
4 Normal Servings
Per Serving (about 1 cup of food):
Calories: 200 

carbs: 16 
fat: 4 
protein: 24

Cooking Spray

1-9 oz or 2-4 oz chicken breasts, cut into bite size cubes
1/2 large onion (any color will work - whatever is your favorite)
1/2 bell pepper (again, whatever color is your favorite!)

1/4 c frozen peas
1 can low fat/low sodium cheddar cheese soup (I use Campbell's Healthy Request)
1/2 above can of low-fat milk (you can also use soy or almond milk - unflavored of course!)
1/4 c shredded low fat cheddar cheese

1 package Tofu Shirataki Noodles - Spaghetti Style, drained, rinsed, cooked according to package directions (hint - add some chicken base or a low sodium bullion cube to the water!), and cut up into 1-inch pieces
1 tsp salt free herb blend (I like Mrs. Dash Garlic and Herb Seasoning)
couple of dashes of Worcestershire sauce

salt and pepper to taste

Spray a non stick pan with cooking spray and heat over medium heat. Season chicken with salt and pepper then cook in the pan until browned, turning pieces frequently. Remove chicken from pan and add peppers and onions (you may add more cooking spray if needed).  Cook peppers and onions until soft and translucent. Return chicken to the pan. Add cheese soup and milk and stir well to combine. Add cheese and peas, mix well, and allow to return to temperature (it will get bubbly). Add seasonings and noodles and mix gently to combine. Turn off heat, cover, and allow to sit for 5 minutes (this allows the sauce to set up a little bit and also allows the flavors to meld together). Serve hot with a green salad!

*TRIED MY RECIPES? LIKE THEM? HATE THEM? COMMENT AND LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK!



No comments: