Friday, May 10, 2013

30-Day Paleo Challenge Weekly Update

In case you missed this post, I've decided to give Paleo eating a shot. My friend Leanne over at Saving Dinner has issued a challenge! A 30-Day Paleo Challenge, to be exact. This challenge is a STRICT Paleo eating plan for 30 days. It began Monday and ends Wednesday, June 5th. Haven't joined yet? It's not too late! Run over there now and get signed up!

So how did this week go for me?

Well, I have a mouthful of canker sores. Not sure if that's b/c of something I'm eating or another reason, but it's NOT FUN. I can't seem to get rid of them. I was hoping that Paleo eating would help with this issue, but so far . . . notsomuch.

That being said, I do have GOOD news. I have lost about four pounds this week. Which means that AWFUL stall (you know - bouncing between 198-200?) is DONE. I am at 194! Whoop whoop! SO excited about that.

Do I feel better? Well, no. Honestly, I can't say that I really feel any different than before. But then, the only thing different I'm doing now than what I WAS doing is that I cut out dairy. I wasn't eating grains before, and it's been a long time since I've had any beans or other starchy veggies. I've also eaten more sweet potatoes than I have in a long time. Found that we REALLY like them. Maybe too much . . .

So what did I eat this week?
Lots of eggs. Bacon, ham, pepperoni, roast beef, pork tenderloin, moroccan spiced chicken legs, really good vegetable soup, lots of roasted and sauteed veggies. I also made some great paleo friendly pumpkin muffins. REALLY great.

Is it easy? Yes. Super easy. A lot easier than I actually expected, honestly. And fun! I am using spices that I've never thought I'd ever use (think coriander, curry, rosemary . . .). I am actually taking the time to MAKE my lunch (like sauteed shrimp and asparagus with cilantro-cashew pesto!). I am enjoying food. A lot. And watching my portion sizes to boot. Which is super important for us sleevers (ever heard the term sliming? Yeeaahh . . . You don't really want to know what that is . . .).

What do I miss? Sucralose. Stevia's just not cutting it for me.
                          Surprisingly, popcorn. I wasn't even THAT into popcorn (did you see my nose grow just
                          then?) Okay. I confess, I LOVE popcorn. Everything about it. But I can't figure out a
                          viable substitute . . . Yet. Just wait. I'll figure one out.
                          CHEESE. I. LOVE. CHEESE. A lot. And I miss it too. A lot. *They* say nutritional yeast
                          is a good substitute for cheese, but I'm sorry it's not. Not when you're craving a nice chunk
                          of a good aged raw-milk cheddar . . . Mmmm.

What I don't miss? Coffee creamer. I really thought I would. But I don't. I found a great one that is made
                              coconut milk. So Delicious Coconut Creamer. So far I've found plain, French vanilla,
                              and hazelnut. My favorite is hazelnut.
                              Peanuts and peanut butter. I am HOOKED on almond butter. It is the BOMB. Slather
                              some on a piece of celery and . . . Fuggitabowtit. SO delicious.
                              Crackers.  Who needs 'em when you've got so many other really yummy crunch things
                              like cucumbers, carrots, and celery. OMG, did I just say that? Yes. Yes I did.

So, challengers, how'd your first week go? Successes? Messes? Moments of "Oh my God what the heck am I doing??" Chime in and tell me how you're doing!

*Note - I was GOING to do a link up party, but the service I used - Linky tools - is now a PAID site. Bummer. So if you have a blog, please leave your link in the comments and I will be sure to visit!! Thanks for joining me in this journey!*

2 comments:

justanothermom said...

Love your writing style, and congrats on breaking being stuck.

This week has got me "unstuck," too. I ditched grains in January and dropped 13 pounds almost over night. Then just 2 since. Today I'm down 2 from the beginning of the week (also @ 194), so sometin's working.

What I miss most? Probably cheese. I'm also working very, very hard to stay away from grain substitutes, just because anything made with nut flour is so calorie dense ... and I miss my Paleo waffles. They'll come back after the challenge, but for now I'm trying to be as pure as I can.

Happy surprises? I liked the acorn squash I roasted (w/o flashbacks of the acorn squash my mom served decades ago and I hated). And cashew butter.

Syed said...

These pills for the most part have fast outcomes since a great part of the quick weight that is lost is as water weight. The water in your body is utilized as an impetus alongside the synthetic concoctions in the pills to supercharge your body.

https://ideal-shops.com/